One of the main myths regarding SPF is that it’s just a summer essential. We tend to be outside more when the weather is better, but it’s vital to keep your skin protected from the sun’s harmful rays, whether indoors or outdoors. The sun’s rays can penetrate through windows, so while you may feel protected in your home or car, the only way to truly protect your skin is to wear a broad spectrum SPF every day, rain, hail or shine. Here are some common SPF tips, tricks and myths to help keep your skin protected all summer and beyond.
Myth: you don’t need to reapply SPF during the day
Fact: You should reapply your SPF every two hours or more frequently if you’re swimming, sweating, or have been using a towel after swimming. These factors can cause the sunscreen to break down quicker on your skin, reducing its efficacy. For this reason, you may need to reapply your sunscreen more often than the recommended two hours.
Myth: you only need to wear SPF on sunny days
Fact: As mentioned above, the sun’s UV rays can penetrate through clouds and windows. According to the World Health Organisation, up to 80% of UV rays can penetrate through cloud cover and reach your skin. When it comes to windows, the glass mainly blocks UVB rays, and these are the rays that cause the skin to become burnt. However, over 50% of UVA rays, the leading cause of premature skin ageing can penetrate glass. This is why it’s vital to apply your SPF every day and make it a part of your morning skincare routine no matter what.
Myth: sunscreen is the only protection needed against the sun
Fact: SPF 50 blocks about 98% of the UV rays, while SPF 30 blocks 97%. And it can be easy to miss parts of your skin when applying your SPF in the morning. So to get as much protection as possible from the UV rays, apply your SPF in the morning, reapply regularly throughout the day, avoid being out in the sun during the hottest part of the day, wear protective clothing, wear a hat, wear sunglasses, and seek out the shade.
SPF tips and tricks
1. Use sunscreen with at least SPF 30. Try the PREVENTION+ daily matte moisturizer SPF 30 or the PREVENTION+ daily hydrating moisturizer SPF 30 for full, broad-spectrum UV protection. They’re formulated without parabens, phthalates, mineral oils, artificial fragrances, synthetic dyes or animal testing. They feel super lightweight on the skin and sit beautifully under makeup.
2. The Irish Cancer Society recommends using half a teaspoon to cover the face, neck and ears when applying sunscreen. They recommend using half a teaspoon to protect each arm, and one teaspoon for each leg, the front and the back of the body.
3. Remember to apply SPF to the areas often missed, like your ears, hair parting, the back of your neck and the tops of your feet.
4. When applying sunscreen, wait at least 15 minutes before going outside to allow your skin to absorb it fully.
5. Be extra careful when applying sunscreen to the parts of your body that don’t get much sun. They tend to burn more quickly, so take care when applying your SPF to ensure you’re using enough and spreading it evenly.
You can shop the PREVENTION+ range online or from your local Image Skincare clinic, and to discuss more about which sunscreen is best for you, book a consultation with one of our skin experts.
For more SPF tips, visit our Instagram page.